High Performance Policy
HIGH PERFORMANCE PROGRAM
- To select high performance teams to best represent PEI.
- To further the development of Softball on PEI.
- To ensure fairness in the selection of High-Performance teams.
1. High Performance Teams
High performance teams are under the jurisdiction of SPEI and shall follow the guidelines set down by SPEI. All High-Performance teams will carry the name “Whitecaps”. The deadline to submit a roster will be January 5th. Team fees will be required March1st.
2. Sanction Required
High performance teams must obtain a travel permit from SPEI to participate in games and tournaments outside of PEI. If travelling out of the country, additional insurance may be required.
3. Selection of Team Head Coaches
- High performance team coaches shall be chosen by a Selection Committee consisting of three members of SPEI. This is in the event of more than one applicant, or the applicant is not suitable for the job. The recommendations of the committee are to be ratified by the SPEI board. The call for coaches will happen by August 15th and will have a 2-week window for coaches to submit their applications to the Executive Director. Application closing date will be August 30th and appointment of coaches should be announced no later than the September 7th. Assistant coaches must be named and submitted to the board for approval by Jan 12th, unless an extension has been requested and granted by the board.
- The selection committee will be chaired by the Eastern/National Director, provided that they will not be applying for a position or the immediate family member of someone who is applying. In the event of a conflict of interest, the board will appoint another member of the board who is not in conflict.
- Selection of each coach shall be by simple majority vote. In the case of a tie, the Chair will cast the deciding vote. In the case of 3 coaches or more applying for the same position, if after a vote there is a tie between 2 coaches, the members shall vote again on only those 2 coaches. If they are tied after the second vote, the chair will again cast the deciding vote. The committee will present their selection to the Board to be confirmed.
- All open positions will be advertised electronically, including, social media platforms and the SPEI website. The advertisement must include a deadline. If no applications are received by the deadline, the position will be reopened.
- All applications must be received on or before the date stated in the advertisement. Applications received after said date will not be accepted, unless the board approves.
- Coaching applications should include:
- Position applying for
- Leadership qualities
- Read and understood the High-Performance policy
- Criminal record checkAll high-performance head coaches must be fully certified at the required level as set forth by Softball Canada, by June 15th of the competition season, pending the availability of the evaluator.
- The selection committee will interview each applicant. The selection committee will meet prior to the interviews to define the questions and scoring system for coach selection.
- All applicants will be notified of the results by September 30th of the selection committee interviews.
4. Selection of Team Staff
- One of the coaches must be female and a minimum of 21 years of age. For all female HP teams.
- All high-performance assistant coaches must be fully certified at the required level as set forth by Softball PEI by June 15th of the competition season, pending the availability of the evaluator.
- The head coach will recommend assistant coaches and team managers to the SPEI board. All recommendations are subject to board ratification.
- All coaches are required to submit a criminal record check January 12th. Softball PEI can provide a request for CRC.
5. Team Requirements
- All high-performance teams must attend their respective National Championship and any SPEI sanctioned events (Maritime League).
- All team staff are expected to be present at all required competitions, subject to extenuating circumstances as determined by the board.
- All other competitions are at the discretion of the team staff.
- The head coach is responsible for all team staff.
- Team staff must present a seasonal budget along with a seasonal calendar of events to the parents of the team members and SPEI by January 30th.
- All teams must have a separate team specific account with a written letter of approval from Softball PEI.
- Softball PEI will require the following documents:
- January 30th - Proposed budget
- May 31st - Budget/financial statement
- September 1st - Final Financial statement
- Receipts should be provided for all payments to the team.
- Teams must submit a year-end report, a financial report/bank statements and return all jerseys and equipment (if provided) by September 15th.
6. High Performance Team Expenses
- Team players are responsible to cover the costs associated with playing on a high-performance team.
- These costs may include but are not limited to:
- Event registration fees
- Field/Gym rental fees
- Travel costs (airfare and ground transportation)
- Accommodations and food costs
- First Aid supplies
- Uniform costs (could include team clothing
- Umpire costs
- Team social functions (could include a year-end social)
- Bank fees
- Travel and accommodations for team staff (Head and Assistant Coach) are subject to the discretion of each team and must be presented as part of the budget to the parents.
7. Team Selection Eligibility
- 2023 Trial Year - Athletes may choose to register or not with their local club. Their local club must be sanctioned by Softball PEI. If not registered with their local club, the athlete must be in good standing with SPEI
- Athletes selected to a high-performance team who are also playing on a local club team, are required to attend a minimum of 50% of club team practices and games. It will be the responsibility of the club team staff to report any concerns to their association, who will then inform Softball PEI of the incident. Softball PEI will make the final determination in these situations.
- Athletes trying out for a high-performance team must meet the following age requirements (as of December 31st):
- U23 - 20, 21, 22 or 23 years of age
- U19 - 18 or 19 years of age
- U17 - 16 or 17 years of age
- U15 - 14 or 15 years of age
- Athletes are expected to sign and abide by the SPEI Code of Conduct, as well as any of other team rules outlined by the team staff.
- Athletes selected to a high-performance team shall give their priority to the team over conflicting commitments (as long as they’re meeting their club team requirement):
- HP practices over club practices
- Club games over HP practices
- HP games over Club games.
Any exception to the eligibility requirements must be approved by the SPEI board prior to tryouts.
- Tryout dates, times, and divisions will be advertised in advance.
- Each division should have a minimum of 4 tryouts; commencing after September 21st. Exceptions must be approved in advance by the SPEI board. Final rosters will be submitted no later than January 5th in order to participate in the High-Performance Program commencing mid-January.
- Players must participate in no less than 75% of the advertised tryouts or they will be disqualified from team selection. Exceptions must be approved in advance by the SPEI board.
- Tryouts should accommodate players in all areas of the province.
- All high-performance team players will be selected by the coaches of the respective division under the supervision of SPEI.
- Notification of team selections is at the discretion of team coaches in consultation with the players attending. It is the responsibility of the head coach to clearly communicate the notification method prior to the final tryout.
Anyone who wishes to appeal any decision regarding the high-performance policy must do so according to the SPEI Appeal Policy